The Science Behind Deterring The Ants In Queen Creek
September 30, 2022
Underneath our feet is an entire ecosystem of activity. We walk over this vast metropolis of activity as we travel barefoot in the yard or take our evening stroll in the garden. Ants are a necessary part of the ecosystem outdoors, but they can become a nuisance and a problem if they enter our house.
If ants are coming inside your Queen Creek home, you need the Queen Creek pest control team from Canopy Pest Control to come to your rescue.
What Kind Of Ant Is This?
There are over 10,000 species of ants worldwide, but the following are types of ants in Queen Creek:
- Odorous house ants: These are so-called due to the coconut smell they emit when crushed. They are 1/16 to 1/8 inch in size and have a brown to a black body.
- Big-headed ants: There are two groups of workers in the colony: major and minor. The major workers, known as "soldiers," have a big head on their 1/16 to 1/8 inch reddish-brown body.
- Argentine ants: The color of these shiny ants ranges from light to dark brown. They are 1/16 to 1/4 inch long. Most of these ants are wingless, but reproductive queens and males may have wings. When crushed, they release a musty odor.
- Pavement ants: These small 1/8 inch black to brown ants have parallel lines on the head.
- Little black ant: Ants in this species usually have a two-segmented 1/16 inch jet black body.
Although the sugar ant species is in Australia, the pavement and little black ants are attracted to sweets, and many call them sugar ants.
Ants Can Hide Many Places In Your Home
According to the National Pest Management Association, common areas where ants hide include:
- Inside walls (73%)
- Bedrooms (61%)
- Living rooms (60%)
- Basements (54%)
- Air conditioning and heating units (37%)
If you see ants in these areas, you likely have one or more ant colonies in your home, and each colony can have up to 1,000 members.
The Easiest Way To Deter Any Kind Of Ant Inside Your Home
The easiest way for ant control in Queen Creek home is to take preventative action. Preventive steps involve the following:
- Sealing cracks and crevices with silicone caulk
- Fixing holes in screens
- Replacing door sweeps
- Adding weather-stripping
Check the home for leaks and dehumidify high-moisture areas like the basement or crawlspace. Ant control in your yard requires you to trim trees and shrubs, pick up leaves, and remove debris around the house.
Why You Should Consider Professional Ant Control
Professional ant control solutions are necessary because ants in Queen Creek can contaminate food. Bacteria cling to their legs and body as they crawl over rotten food and garbage, and as they travel across kitchen surfaces, the bacteria fall off and contaminate food and surfaces.
Commercial ant control for eliminating ants is necessary because when they discover your home is a food source, they create trails to your home by releasing pheromones. These chemical trails lead more ants to your Queen Creek house. Do-it-yourself treatments may kill existing ants, but if they don't erase the chemical trails, the ants will not stop coming.
Our pest control experts will not only eradicate existing ants but will eliminate the nests. There may be ant colonies with thousands of ants in each nest throughout your house. Although DIY treatments may reduce the ant population, if there are surviving queen ants, they will continue to produce new generations of ants.
Our team at Canopy Pest Control uses environmentally safe and effective treatments to destroy the ants and their nests. We have the tools and experience to stop the ant infestation in your Queen Creek home. Contact us today and let us help you relax in your home, free from ants.