How To Get Rid Of Roaches On Your Queen Creek Property
August 27, 2021
Cockroaches are universally reviled. They spread diseases and leave behind spoiled food and molted skins. While they can’t really survive a nuclear blast, they are hard to get rid of once they enter your house.
Cockroaches In Queen Creek
The Queen Creek area is home to many species of roaches. Six of them cause most of the problems inside the home. They are:
- American cockroach (Periplaneta americana): Can be up to three inches long, reddish-brown or mahogany, has wings, a yellow band behind the head
- Brown-banded cockroach (Supella longipalpa): Very small, 11 – 14.5 mm, brown body with transverse bands on the wings, juveniles have bands across the body
- Brown cockroach (Periplaneta brunnea): 4 cm in length, dark reddish-brown, has wings, a yellow band behind the head
- German cockroach (Blattella germanica): 13-16 mm, has wings, light brown or tan, with two horizontal black bands behind the head, juveniles are darker, still have bands
- Oriental cockroach (Blatta orientalis): 1 inch long, dark brown or black, males have wings ¾ of the length of their body, females have very short wings, neither can fly
- Turkestan cockroach (Blatta lateralis): Females 1-inch, dark brown to black, short wings, cream bands around the edges of the body and head, light-colored stripes on the edges of the wings, males smaller than females, orangish or red with light-colored wings that extend beyond the body, cream bands around the edges of the body
Cockroaches are dangerous. They walk in sewers and then walk over your counters, food-preparation utensils, and food, urinating and defecating. They spread salmonellosis, typhoid fever, cholera, gastroenteritis, dysentery, listeriosis, giardia, and E. coli infection. Their shed skins, feces, hatched eggs, and oothecae crumble into dust and become airborne. There they cause allergies and asthma, especially for children. Children living in a home with roaches are hospitalized much more frequently than children living in a roach-free home.
Interesting Cockroach Facts
- Cockroaches are interesting insects. Here are some fun facts about them.
- Cockroaches spend 75% of their time hiding in crevices and other dark spots.
- A cockroach can go three months without food and a week without water.
- A cockroach can hold its breath for 40 minutes.
- Cockroaches can live for a week without their heads before they die of dehydration.
- They can run up to three miles an hour.
- They are nocturnal.
- Cockroaches can squeeze through an opening 1/4th of their length by flattening their body and turning their feet sideways.
- Cockroaches cannot survive a nuclear bomb, but they can survive ten times the radiation humans can.
Cockroaches may be interesting, but that doesn’t mean you want them in your house. Here are some ways to prevent them from getting in.
- Caulk all crevices in your foundation and outside walls.
- Caulk around pipes, electrical wires, and cables where they enter your house.
- Fix water leaks.
- Put all food in cockroach-proof containers.
- Put up dog dishes and other pet food every night.
- Remove clutter from your house.
- Wipe up food spills immediately
DIY Roach Control
There are lots of over-the-counter products that claim to kill roaches, from bug bombs to sprays to powders. The truth is cockroaches are resistant to many pesticides. Further, they stay in such tight cracks that pesticides cannot penetrate to kill them. Over-the-counter pesticides can be dangerous to your family and pets. Cockroaches may once have been a DIY pest, but they are not one now.
Professional Roach Control
Canopy Pest Control can help control your cockroaches. When you contact us, we will come out and do a free inspection inside and out. We will then come up with a treatment plan to not only kill current pests but prevent future problems. All of our treatments are organic and safe for children and pets. After your treatment, we will come out on a regular basis, every 2,3, or 4 months, based on your treatment plan. We will treat the exterior each time we come out and the interior upon request. Contact Canopy Pest Control today to get rid of those roaches.